Whoever, by words, either spoken or written, or by signs, or by visible representation, or otherwise, brings or attempts to bring into hatred or contempt, or excites or attempts to excite disaffection towards,2[***] the Government established by law in3[India],4[***] shall be punished with5[imprisonment for life], to which fine may be added, or with imprisonment which may extend to three years, to which fine may be added, or with fine.
Explanation 1.--The expression "disaffection" includes disloyalty and all feelings of enmity.
Explanation 2.--Comments expressing disapprobation of the measures of the Government with a view to obtain their alteration by lawful means, without exciting or attempting to excite hatred, contempt or disaffection, do not constitute an offence under this section.
Explanation 3.--Comments expressing disapprobation of the administrative or other action of the Government without exciting or attempting to excite hatred, contempt or disaffection, do not constitute an offence under this section.
1. Substituted by Act 4 of 1898, section 4, for the section 124A which had been Inserted by Act 27 of 1870, section 5.
2. The words "Her Majesty or" omitted by the A.O. 1950. The words "or the Crown Representative inserted after the word "Majesty" by the A.O. 1937 were omitted by the A.O. 1948.
3. The words "British India" have successively been Substituted by the A.O. 1948, the A.O. 1950 and Act 3 of 1951, section 3 and Schedule to read as above.
4. The words "or Britsih Burma" Inserted by the A.O. 1937 omitted by the A.O. 1948.
5. Substituted by Act 26 of 1955, section 117 and Schedule, for "transportation for life or any shorter term" (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).